Tuesday, August 4, 2009

DB/12

I really enjoyed reading this chapter because it provided some insight into how learners learn! What good is using rich media if it doesn't enhance the learning process? I feel that the area of cognitive processes of learning is so important because instructional methods of instruction depend on it. I will use a couple of ideas from this chapter. I have always used the seven plus or minus 2 chunks of information. Ever wonder why we have 7 digit phone numbers? Because that is all we can remember in our short term memory at a time! Anyway I will continue to use that. I will also use the attention, activation of prior knowledge and motivation because these must be used to be an effective teacher. I was/am still a proponent of the activation of prior knowledge because this is connected to long-term memory. Every lesson I taught was somehow connected to prior knowledge even if it was something we just learned. Some of the evidence the authors used to support and improve learning was pretty obvious like "students learn better from words and pictures than from words alone" and "students learn better from animation and narration than from animation and onscreen text". For me it was intuitive because as a student it was so much more interesting if their was pictures or a video.

4 comments:

  1. I hadn't thought about why we have a 7 digit phone number ! ;) I think the importance of activating prior knowledge is one of the key ideas I will take from this class and apply in my classroom. It really does make a difference in understanding new material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy,

    I thought of the phone number idea as well when it talked about 7 plus or minus 2. another thing that comes to mind with that is classroom rules. The research has been saying that students function better when there are 3-5 rules for a class. (Yes, rules are different than procedures or expectations).

    I thought that if you think back to when you were bored in school and what was happening this chapter seemed to be right on with those.

    Jackie Sowle

    ReplyDelete
  3. That 7 number thing was quite interested. It's a great way for me to teach English or Japanese vocabularies this way.
    It's also very important to review something from the previous lesson. I always make it a rule when I plan a new lesson. I try to connect it to something they have already learned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may, or may not have learned the 7 number thing. I don't think it made it to my long term memory. Thank you for reminding me, or for first telling me about that :). I have to do review of my previous lessons. As most know, math just builds and builds, so stimulating their short term memory is key for me.

    ReplyDelete