What I thought was really neat and viable was electronic training jackets and cognitive science and neuroscience contributions. These two seemed to be more realistic than say nanotechnology and cybernetics. The idea of smartcard technology is here so more applicable to my lifetime. Perhaps this could be used for medical history and only certain people identified via thumbprint or retinal scan could access it. The brain is so powerful and really only the surface has been scratched. Think of the applications for this if we could learn more about memory and neural activity related to certain actions. Perhaps certain parts of the brain could be stimulated to improve learning and/or retention. Of course, as the authors point out we may need to pay heed to ethical and legal issues related to this topic.
I think my favorite activity for this semester was the blog/webpage building and the social networking. As I have mentioned before these two aspects of technology I will use regardless of getting back into teaching or not. I think these are relatively easy applications and you can be quite creative. Also screencasting seems intriguing so I definitely am going to try to do this for my project if I can everything to line up right.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My favorites were the blog and webpage, too. For me those are the most obvious things I can use right now.
ReplyDeleteI agree that we've only scrated the surface of what the brain can do. Wouldn't it be great to understand how to improve retention?
Kathy,
ReplyDeleteI really like your idea about using a smartcard to store medical files. I know there are some patients whose file is several inches thick. How convenient if it was all stored electronically and you could search by keyword, dates, medications, etc.
Like you, I also enjoyed the blog and I was so excited about using one for my class, I already set it up.
Jackie Sowle
Yeah, blogging has become part of my personal life too. Ever since learning how to blog, I have played around with the idea on my personal time. Hopefully I can apply these to my class someday.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your screencasting. I think that is the only thing from this class that I really didn't get. I get the concept, but not sure how to use it I guess. Blogging will definitely have a place in education, and hopefully I can continue mine for my class, if time allows.
ReplyDeletei said the same thing, i thought the networking and setting up the blogger was my favorite activity. In turn it involved everything else we had to accomplish this week too, so i really mean everything was good when i say my favorite was the blogger.
ReplyDelete