I think the technology-based training is the most useful to my professional work. Presently every year we have 22 modules to work through with an assessment after each one. These modules are about things like patient privacy and corporate policies. We have to be at work to get on the system so if they were are on the Internet we could access them at home. These modules are from an external source so most are generic. If we had an internal designer the modules could be more applicable to our hospital (corporation). Also most of us just hurry through them because they are mandatory and so boring! So the other noteworthy way is for our hospital to have their own instructional designer.
As I have mentioned in previous reflections, the pharmaceutical companies use the technology based training. I know they are saving tons of money by having the reps. train at home versus traveling to the "big cities".
One of our process improvement areas is customer service. My corp. has been working on this area for 2 years. Last year there was a customer service seminar which everyone attended. I think the advanced evaluation techniques could be used to see how we are progressing since last year. I think right now we survey our customers quarterly to see if there is improvement. I think perhaps a more focused process should have been implemented using a IDT professional because I don't think one seminar on customer service is enough to get the appropriate response the CFO and Board would like to see.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It seems to me like it is a lot easier to have training modules online, but you're right, they can be kind of boring. I had to complete a mandatory training about bloodbourne pathogens, sexual harassment and toxic materials in the classroom. The training wasn't hard, but it was tedious. However, I much preferred doing the training online as opposed to going to a specific training center at a specific time.
ReplyDeleteThe downfall of online training is that it isn't very interactive and I'm sure I've forgotten a lot of the training already. (At least, the information that wasn't common sense.) I'm thinking that because of the ease of online training, it will hopefully advance in terms of being interesting and interactive.
Danelle Drake
I was talking to an RN recently and she was telling me about a 4 hour training session they had. She said it was too much and too advanced for her to comprehend. It seems that online or, at least, smaller sessions would be MUCH more useful! The RN said that the training had to do with a new program that they would be using throughout the hospital and, although the technology and logging is helpful, it will reduce their time with patients... which seems counterproductive. It's hard to find a happy medium! -Suzy
ReplyDeleteThe online training I just received for using webex (video conferencing tool for online teaching) was anything but boring. All of us could chat with the instructor and ask questions (privately - just to the instructor, or coporaately - to everyone in the class). The training was only focused on helping us use the technology in our online classes, so it was exactly what we needed. I hate to go to a workshop that only applies to people in the English of Math department! :) ha ha
ReplyDeleteKathy,
ReplyDeleteIt is interesting to hear a different take on this chapter since you are not in education. However, I feel your description corresponds with what happens in the teaching world as well. Like Danelle said, I also had to take online classes for blood borne pathogens and hazardous material and I do not remember a whole lot from it either. The same internet/computer based training that you find boring we also find boring. The more I think about it, our students would also find boring. I am teaching a summer school class that uses a computer based learning program for half of the class and the students are finding it boring after only 4 weeks. I cant imagine what it would be like if they had to use it for 36 weeks.
I feel part of the ID process should also be to create authentic, novel tasks so that they appeal to others.
Jackie Sowle
I remember some of the trainings I had to go through before. Some where so boring because it was not relevant to me. One way that has worked well is a test or assignment after training. I remember in one of my trainings, the trainer said that he would be testing us after the course. Everyone from that training was so attentive. It was quite funny.
ReplyDelete