Thursday, July 2, 2009

D/B2

I have had some experience using Blogs as far as posting and reading other user's posts. Occasionally I would post a comment if I felt strong enough about what was being discussed. I really thought it would be much harder to set up a Blog than it was. You can do so much more with a Blog as well. I was just goofing around with it but I was able to add video, pictures, and RSS feeds which makes it so much more interesting and interactive! I have subscribed to many RSS feeds without really knowing what they were until I took this class. I have a Twitter account as well and get instant updates on my cell phone to whatever site I am following much like the RSS feed on my PC.
I think Blogs would be located in the verbal symbols area of the Cone. I say that because the medium is mostly written words which are abstractions. I can use this Blog for instance as an example. As a student I am engaged by responding to posed questions in a thoughtful way. The only physical element of this Blog is using the keyboard to formulate my ideas. I am primarily thinking vs. doing anything concrete or physical. Here's a question though -what if I used a Blog to post just a picture or a recording or a demonstration would it still be at the verbal symbols level or lower on the Cone? Perhaps it would depend on the response I was looking for? RSS feeds would probably be in the same area of the Cone too. Most of the RSS feeds I subscribe to are written words although some are video-there is very little physical action involved. The E! RSS feed also wants subscribers to comment on the stories they post so there can be quite the discussions-case in point is the death of Michael Jackson!
I can see awesome applications in my classroom for both Blogs and RSS feeds! Certainly I could use both tools in class discussions where students do exactly what we are doing in this class. Not all students will participate in a verbal class discussion because they're shy or whatever but if they could post their ideas and responses you might get better class participation! I think it would also lend itself to more in-depth or critical thinking responses if students are not constrained in the dynamics of the classroom setting. I taught Science and could see myself using a Blog instead of a Lab Experiment Notebook even a class Wiki for results of an experiment could be really fun! Perhaps I would use a Wiki also for student projects where group members would have to contribute. In the past I had my students do a monthly current science/health article that they found from newspapers or magazines-instead they could subscribe to different RSS feeds to get the latest news and then write on them. A Blog would be an excellent way to keep my parents informed about what is happening in my class. I used to send out letters and emails but it would be so much easier to have my student's parents subscribe to the class Blog! I think Postman would agree Blogs/RSS could be the solution to the lack of class participation in discussions or student engagement and in poor communication between teachers and student's parents. These are just 2 problems which I think could be improved if teachers used these types of tools and I plan to use them in my classroom!

8 comments:

  1. Kathy,

    We seem to share a lot of similar ideas for use of a class blog and RSS. My biggest concern with this technology is that a lot (possibly 40%) of my students do not have access to a computer let alone the internet at home. I know that more and more people get the internet everyday but what do you see as a way around still assigning the activity of a current event article and many students not having the internet to complete the assignment? Possibly just hand those students a newspaper, allow them to complete the assignment after school??

    Jackie Sowle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy,
    The idea of a shy student contributing on a blog or wiki was an idea that I hadn't thought of at all! But how true! There have been a lot of reports that students especially become much more outgoing online on instant messenger and chat room simply because of the disconnect and privacy (so it seems, but isn't necessarily true) that the computer provides. I would love to try out this idea with my shy students to see if they are more comfortable. Have you ever tried using diary/journals in your classroom? Like blogs, but just without the technology, students can express themselves without having to speak in front of their peers. Maybe this could be a solution for students who don't have computer access.

    -Danelle Drake

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danelle,
    I have had my students use journals as well and it's a great way for students to express themselves but blogging might be another way to accomplish this. Unfortunately, as you said some students might not have access to a laptop.:) KathyW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, appreciated your comment about shy students being able to express themselves without fear of embarassment. It's hard to imagine a home without a computer or internet access, but I know it's true. Danelle's idea about the journal is an answer. What about giving students time to blog during school? It just wouldn't be classified as homework.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, that's a good idea as well because most schools do have a computer room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you have the best use of a blog yet. I have so many kids that are not willing to share in class discussions, and it is so frustrating. It is always the same four or five kids that talk. Sometimes I almost force the others to join in the conversation, but then they are so embarrassed that they shy away even more. I know that others would contribute to the class discussion with their comments, but they won't. That is definitely a great use for a blog. BRILLIANT IDEA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the items that my school system was looking at purchasing is called a "Student Clicker." < http://www.irespond.com/ > I'm sure there are many other names for them. (Think of when they poll the audience in game shows.) This is another technological tool that would bring the shy students in as well!
    -Suzy :)

    ReplyDelete