Tuesday, July 28, 2009

RD/11

I am not sure which competencies you want us to look at but I think the instructor level is where most of my competencies lie. Although I have not been a teacher for several years I still think stimulate and sustain learner motivation is always difficult due to the level of technology teachers compete with. I think I possess the professional foundation competencies for both the ID and the training manager but after that I need more training and education. I would like to be able to analyze the characteristics of existing and emerging technologies and their use in an instructional environment to better utilize the technology in current applications. Select and use a variety of techniques for determining instructional content to be able to offer different ways to teach. The 3rd competency is to evaluate and assess instruction and its impact-specifically be able to evaluate so I can modify the instructional process.

5 comments:

  1. I think that every teacher struggles with motivation, especially at the high school level. Then once you have them intrigued about the lesson, keeping them motivated to stay on task is the next problem. I am amazed at how fast they can lose interest. Being able to teach in different ways is something I am working on right now. We all know kids learn in different ways, so having the ability to teach in different ways is so helpful, especially for student learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy,
    Jason has a good point. Like everything else, it's important to keep it fresh. As a teacher we need to constantly observe what activities are working and what aren't. Once the students lose interest, they are not motivated to learn anymore.
    In terms of new technologies, it can be very fustrating since technology is constantly changing. Once you learn something, there's always something else you need to learn. This can demoralize me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jason...it's one thing to catch their interest at the beginning of a lesson (that's not too hard) but keeping it throughout the lesson...that's hard! This is where interactive white boards could help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy,
    You are right about motivating students, so the new technologies we are learning here can be a big help. Teaching in different ways is a good way to keep your students interested. I agree with Yasue on there always being something more to learn. Sometimes it does seem overwhelming.
    Mark P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stimulating and sustaining learner motivation is always a hurdle. I do not always turn to technology. Many students have media (video game, TV, movie) overload. Sometimes think LOW-TECH. Kids love to be ACTIVE... I'm amazed how much fun my students have drawing pictures of what they hear during a song or just dancing. Once again, don't assume you need to rely on technology for motivation. -Suzy

    ReplyDelete