Thursday, July 16, 2009

R/D5: Application 1a

I think the Internet/Web will have a major impact mostly in the areas of Higher education and Adult education (businesses). For example, I am taking this online course right now. I have to admit it's because I work full time and am unable to take a class on campus. I can fit the requirements for this course around my schedule vs. around the universities schedule. Taking online courses is very attractive to many non-traditional students because of the convenience and colleges have access to the entire world not just students in their area. I think higher ed. sees this as a very viable option to future sustainability. Higher ed. institutions have more money at their disposal to invest and create this type of learning(online courses). After all the college students are "footing the bill" for their education unlike K-12 education. I think with all the new innovations to instructional technology it is easier than ever for instructors to design a very interactive online course (such as this one).

I also think Adult education specifically business will continue to use this type of medium for training/learning purposes. For example, in the pharmaceutical industry I have seen this already occurring. Many of our national meeting have been replaced with podcasts and learning modules within our districts. What this means for the company is less money spent on travel, less time out of the territory and more money for the company (share-holders). I have completed many required learning modules on-line with the timed test following! Many business industries see this type of medium as a way to improve their bottom lines so again this is a way to stay viable.

I think one reason K-12 education has been so slow to use any technology related tools for instruction is because of the cost. Schools are mostly state/federally funded. Every student is entitled or required to attend school. Schools in general have not invested in the tools needed for this transition as well as the time needed to train their staff. All of the technology and time costs schools lots of money! In contrast, higher ed. and business industries have more money to invest in technology. When I was a teacher I barely had enough money for the regular teaching supplies I needed just to teach my science classes let alone additional monies for technology tools I wanted. When I was hired as a pharmaceutical rep. within 1 week of hire, I had all the tools I needed to be successful in my field, which included a laptop, a car, and samples!
I think K-12 education has to become more involved in instructional technology and certainly I have seen some hugh gains with webpages and such! Teaching ed. programs probably have changed to require taking classes like this to make them better prepared to teach students of the 21st century!

3 comments:

  1. Kathy, I think you are right about schools not wanting to spend their money on technology when they have a lot of other costs. However, I do see schools' interests changing and figuring out ways to slowly become more technologically advanced. Do you think schools might be hesitant to invest in technology because they are afraid that once they decide on a technology to purchase, have it installed and then train the teachers, that it may be outdated?

    I also agree that businesses seem to be doing a lot more training via video or online classes as a way to keep costs down. Do you think that though it saves money it is as good as having the training or class presented by a real person?

    Danelle Drake

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Kathy, that technology will have a major impact. Guess what! I taught a World Geography class on line. My students lived in Michigan and Iowa, but truthfully, they could have been from anywhere in the world. I was really hoping to have some international students participate. Maybe next year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the internet has not impacted K-12 education as much as higher education and business. But, along with lack of funding, K-12 students can't use the internet as much as college students. Even if every school had one computer for every student, how much different would kindergarten instruction be? Should 3rd graders really be expected to create a podcast or blog? I think additional funding would make a difference in technology/internet use in elementary/secondary schools, but I believe younger students education and instruction is already being impacted greatly by technological advancements. -Suzy

    ReplyDelete