I think most of the ideas, concepts, and principles from Chapter 14 can be applied to teaching in general, to student learning and to my present position. If you look at how schools developed it was in response to the need for more educated people to become better employees. If you read "Early Precursors to Performance Improvement (p.138-139) " it clearly shows the connection between what is taught in schools and what is needed of the "work force". I think educators in general use many of these ideas and principles and as I mentioned before the ADDIE concept is a great tool for designing student learning. A school by itself should be viewed as an organization with the end product being student learning. This learning should be relevant to becoming productive members of a larger society. So perhaps schools need to adopt the HPT model for performance improvement (fig. 14.2) and use these ideas to improve student learning/outcomes.
I am very interested in HPI/HPT and can see myself pursuing this area in my professional development. Also I can see where some of these ideas can help the organization I work for become more profitable in the current economic circumstances. My HR department needs to adopt some of the principles and ideas as well especially when it comes to the training of new employees.
1. The Teachers Podcast is about technology news, views, research and resources you can use personally or in the classroom. The two presenters are Mark Gura and Dr. Kathy King who are teachers, ed tech experts, authors and professors. I only had time to listen to one but I learned about some cool new technology sites I plan to utilize in the future. I highly recommend these podcasts.
2. I am not sure I would use podcasting in my present position although I do give a presentation on becoming members of the facility I help manage and if some employees cannot come to the presentation it could be made available via podcast. I think I would use podcasting if I was teaching. Maybe podcasting a lecture so students could listen to it over and over if needed. Or if I was developing a unit in Science-I could use a famous scientist podcast if available.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteKathy, you said that you could see yourself pursuing HPI/HPT, in what way would you like to do this? Were you thinking as a way to make sure you were performing to your fullest potential, other colleagues, possibly students? In asking that question I realized another way that schools use HPI. All teachers are required to do some sort of professional development and there is usually an administrator in charge of running the PD and coming up with topics relevant to those teachers. I think most businesses use HPI without fully realizing it.
ReplyDeleteDanelle Drake
Thanks for the podcast about technology news. Maybe it can give me a little help! :)
ReplyDeleteYes, I agree that the learning should help our students contribute to our society.
i agree i was thinking the same thing and saying that most can be applied to our teaching if we already aren't doing. When completing our lesson plans we have in the back of our minds the stimulus, the response and the outcome of what is going to happen.
ReplyDelete